Thursday, March 9, 2017

Don’t you love the cover of this book?

Surprisingly, the overriding question in biblical prophecy isn’t how the world is going to end. Instead, the big question is: How are you going to finish?

Wiped out? Or a survivor?

After all, “Silently and imperceptibly as we work or sleep, we grow strong or we grow weak,” B. F. Westcott reminds us. So, how do we know which?

Author Jake McCandless aptly calls it a spiritual disaster.

I only wish I had read this book, Spiritual Prepper:Tapping into Overlooked Prophecies to Prepare You for Doomsday, before my own spiritual disaster.

My love for God, joy for life, and peace were shattered. In their place I felt angry, deceived, and desperate for a way out of my nightmare. In my despair, I doubted God’s character. Finally the day came I couldn’t read the Bible anymore. Not a single verse. I couldn’t pray, even over a meal. For days and weeks on end.

Experientially, I had lost my faith. Why? Because I had failed to heed the clear warnings of Scripture. And because I’d let the circumstances of life temporarily overshadow what I knew to be true. As a result, I couldn’t fall asleep at night. I couldn’t get rid of the stabbing pain in my chest. I was this close to my own spiritual doomsday.

Thankfully, God renewed my faith when I forced myself to open my Bible, read a verse, and honestly answer the question, “Do I believe it?” To my surprise, I said “yes.” It wasn’t a big “yes!” But it was enough to prompt me to read another verse, and then another. In time, God gave me a much stronger and more robust faith. Thanks to Him, and Him alone, a full-scale spiritual doomsday was narrowly averted.

Since then, I’ve talked with many other people about my experience. Even crazy places like UC Berkeley. Not because my story is dramatic, but because it’s true to life. 

Every Christian is seriously tempted, at one time or another, to lose his or her faith. If only I hadn’t overlooked some of the Bible’s most important prophecies.

Don’t wait until the day of crisis. Instead, push everything else aside and read this book cover to cover. Take its message seriously. And, above all, don’t put it back on a shelf. Instead, share it with your friends!  

Foreword by David Sanford, author of If God Disappears (SaltRiver, Tyndale House, 2008) and the brand-new book, Loving Your Neighbor: Surprise! It’s Not What You Think (Amazon CreateSpace, 2017). 

No comments: