Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Word "Neighbor"

What comes to your mind when you think of the word "neighbor"? Maybe a block party. Maybe an especially helpful or elderly neighbor. Maybe Good Samaritan comes to mind. Maybe the second half of the Great Commandment, "Love your neighbor as yourself."

The past few months, I keep wondering: If Jesus urges us to love our neighbors well, and if Jesus isn't a hypocrite, and if the Jesus stories that make us wince have a purpose, is it possible I have a few counter-intuitive lessons to learn?

Wow, I had no idea. The Jesus stories in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John have come alive to me in a whole new way. The result is a new book manuscript titled Loving Your Neighbor: Surprise! It's Not What You Think. Clearly, clearly, the hero is Jesus!

If you'd like to read a sampling, give me a call, send me a text, or drop me a quick line at sanforddr]at[gmail]dot[com. Believe me, I need all the constructive criticism I can get before the manuscript is due May 1.

No comments: