Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Beyond Being Shaken

This morning for half an hour I was on a call-in talk show broadcast on the Faith Radio Network. Five minutes before I was supposed to go off the air, guest host Stephanie Bakke and I took a call from Robert. Robert said he used to be active in church, but now his faith is “beyond being shaken.” He went on to say he’s lost all hope after foreign investors eliminated what he called “the best job in the world.” He’s had three jobs since then, each pushing Robert further into discouragement and despair.

When Robert finished, Stephanie reminded me I had only 60 seconds. What do you say to someone like that? There are no quick, easy, 1-2-3 answers. The reality is, I wish I would have had 60 or 90 minutes to hear all of Robert’s story. Because until I hear his whole story, it may not really matter what I have to say to Robert, no matter how compassionate, personal, practical, biblical, and theologically on target I may be.

What’s your story? Are you struggling with your faith? Or have you experientially lost your faith? If so, I’d love to hear from you and I promise I’ll write back.


PS Pray for me as I prepare for a 15-minute TV interview on 100 Huntley Street next Tuesday, January 13. The interview is schedule to air live across Canada and again later the same day across the U.S. It also will be posted online for anyone to watch anytime.

1 comment:

Andi W. said...

Dear Father, I lift up David to you and pray that you'll give him wisdom, discernment, empathy, mercy, kindness when talking to the ones seeking answers for their problems. I pray mostly for a spirit of empathy and tenderness, and an ability to clearly point the people to You, our Rock, Protector, Fortress, Redeemer, Healer, Friend. You, O LORD, are the only One that can answer our heart's unmet needs. We are so guilty of looking either to ourselves for the answers or horizontally for the helps. You, Father, are the answer. Through Jesus, you give us the help we need. Please, help your servant, David, as he ministers to those in need. In Jesus' name, Amen.