Friday, December 5, 2008

What if God Talks to You?

My good friend Carol just gave me permission to reprint this letter. I hope you find it encouraging!

Thanks so much for sending me your book. I have enjoyed reading it and seeing even more of your faithful and gracious spirit through it. Thought you might enjoy an encouraging story...

Last weekend I was reading it on a cold Sunday evening in front of my fireplace. I had positioned pillows just right on the floor and was enjoying a cozy time. I read the story of the woman who was moved to pull over and pray for a man who was near death following a car accident. As I read the story, I prayed, Oh, Lord, that I might have that kind of sensitivity to Your Spirit.” Just then, I heard the Lord way, Go and read your book at Caribou (the local coffee shop).

Of course, it was easy to deny that it was truly the Lord speaking, as I was quite warm and comfortable. But the thought persisted, and so I finally got up, combed my hair (ha!), and put on my winter coat. As I walked into the coffee shop, I prayed that the Lord would be at least honored by my obedience--even if there was no other purpose in my showing up.

After I ordered my latte, the young man behind the counter said, What book are you reading? I gave him a brief description of your book, which then launched him into a lengthy dialogue about his search for truth. He talked on and on about his exploration of various things, including Buddhism and reincarnation. He also admitted that he had recently purchased The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, as recommended by a friend. He had't read it yet, but he felt he needed a whole lot more proof that Jesus was the only way.

After several minutes and a few more customers passing by us, I finally wrapped up the conversation by telling him that I would pray for him as he read The Case for Christ. I said that I would pray that Jesus would show up and prove Himself to himif He really is the only way. Then I asked him for his first name. Thomas, he said. I smiled as I thought of his biblical counterpart who also needed pretty specific proof!

Anyway, Thomas invited me back some week to continue our discussion. I'm praying for him in the meantime. Although I am only about a third of the way through your book, I thought you would enjoy hearing of some fruit!


I can’t say “Thank you!” enough to my publisher, Tyndale House, for creating such an attractive, “What book are you reading?” cover design for If God Disappears.

I’m also so thankful that God loves books. He not only uses them as “silent evangelists” when we aren’t around. He also uses them to get us out the door and into coffee shops when we can give an answer for the hope that is within us (1 Peter 3:15).

No comments: