Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What Have We Become?

It’s been wisely said: “Silently and imperceptibly, as we work or sleep, we grow strong or we grow weak; and at last some crisis shows us what we have become” (B.F. Westcott). 

In the past 77 days, what have you become?

 

It’s been 77 days since Americans started feeling the massive economic tremors that have rocked Wall Street and Washington and the world at large. Before the tremors hit, were you growing strong or growing weak? Since the massive crisis hit, what have you done?

 

Many of us have discovered that we made the huge mistake of laying the American Dream on top of our Christian faith. Of course, the two shouldn’t go together at all. And for certain the American Dream never should have gone on top. Even if we kept our faith on top, it was a fatal combination.

 

Sadly, I made several mistakes myself. Now, when I look in the mirror, I don’t see myself as an entrepreneur anymore. We enjoyed three good years in business, two bad years when the publishing world slipped into recession, another relatively good stretch in 2008 until mid September — and then boom!

 

Again, now when I look in the mirror, I see myself as a Christian who still loves God and is more humbly accepting the Word of God as my Bible, period. More than ever, I want to experience and enjoy God’s spiritual blessing in my life. Material wealth will come and go. Earthly prosperity will rise and fall. I am currently in the process of selling our business to a larger company. The sale will be final two weeks from yesterday. But it is well with my soul.

 

More than ever, I want to grow stronger in my faith and more actively follow Jesus Christ in the days, weeks, and months ahead. How? By embracing these nine (9) faith builders:

            1. Telling my story to a friend who knows God

            2. Cultivating relationships of humility, trust, and submission

            3. Being courageous enough to make choices based on the truth

            4. Experiencing the power of love with grace

            5. Reclaiming God’s promises even if I have to wait

            6. Asking questions, wrestling with doubt, and embracing hope

            7. Seeing God as he is and believing that he is working behind the scenes

            8. Rediscovering God’s ideal and allowing him to write a vibrant new script for my life

            9. Awakening to our calling as God’s new prophets to the church


I’ve written quite a bit about these faith builders in my new book, If God Disappears (Tyndale). But writing isn’t the same as living today.

I’m not focused on the “good old days” in the past. Instead, I’m focused on what I’m becoming.

No comments: