Saturday, July 19, 2008

Did you see the full moon last night?

Did you see the full moon last night?

Earlier this year my younger son Benjamin and I had an opportunity to watch a spectacular lunar eclipse. The sky was clear, the air was cool, and the show was spectacular. We watched the moon go from pure white to a haunting silhouette. It was one of those wonder-filled memories that probably will stay with Ben and me forever.

On my desktop I’ve set up a sidebar that randomly shows all the pictures I’ve stored on my hard drive. The first photo of the morning caught me by surprise. It was a photograph of the full moon my wife, Renée, had taken.


By right clicking on the photo and changing the format settings for brightness and contrast from 50% to 10%, I found I could turn the photo into a simulated lunar eclipse.



By changing the format settings from 10% to 0%, I discovered I could simulate a pitch black night.


By changing the settings from 0% to 100%, I found the photo completely disappeared (at least on my screen).



If you want, I can e-mail this posting to you. If you were reading the posting via e-mail, you could right click on the space above, change the settings back to 50% and see the full moon again. Want to try it? Just drop me a quick line at IfGodDisappears@gmail.com.

Then… Ask yourself these “top 10” questions in reverse order of priority:

10. Why did you believe the photo of the full moon was still there?

9. Were you simply curious?

8. Did you figure there was a good chance it was there?

7. Could you see part of it due to your screen’s settings?

6. Or did you trust me because you know me?

5. When life doesn’t make sense anymore, what do you see?

4. What do you believe?

3. Where do you turn?

2. Who do you trust?

1. Why do you trust him or her?

I found myself asking, “Why do I trust God?” I realize part of the reason is God’s amazing creative power. Not only did he create the universe, but he also designed it so intricately that we can predict the exact time of the full moon years from now. How can we know for sure? Because God always keeps his promises. Not just to himself, but to us.

No wonder the psalmist David penned these beautiful, often quoted verses from Psalm 8 more than 3,000 years ago:

3When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?

The next time you see the moon, whether on a clear night or on your computer, you probably won’t remember this post.

But please don't forget that God cares for you deeply and always can be trusted....

No comments: