Tuesday, May 6, 2008

After years of suffering

My good friend, Dianne, recently had surgery on her inner ear after years of suffering from vertigo. Here's what she recently told me about her recovery process (which includes adapting to losing hearing in one ear):

But even though I try to walk and act otherwise, my head is still 'swimming' and I have to work to focus my eyes. I cannot stand busy and/or noisy places.

Thankfully, I have been able to read since Tuesday or Wednesday. Scripture has ministered much to me. I also finished a book by a missionary woman who lived through the Japanese prison camps during WWII. Here are some of the lessons that she learned that spoke deeply to my heart:

God does not make mistakes.
He uses suffering to refine us.
Nothing is impossible for God.
He always chooses the best.
He does all things well.

Even after losing her husband and surviving nearly 5 years of suffering and deprivation, she could still affirm these truths. Hmm... This helped me face the doubts of wondering if I will ever feel 'normal' again by saying: 'Even so God does not make mistakes. . .' I believe, Lord. Help my unbelief!

Have you ever faced a time when you chose to believe that God does not make mistakes, even though the evidence seemed to suggest he had made a mistake? Like the man who brought his demon possessed son to Jesus, did you exclaim "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" (see Mark 9:14-32)?

Does God feel nearer or further away when you reach out to him in faith as this father, my friend Dianne, and the WWII missionary all did?

1 comment:

Dianne Burke said...

Dear David,

I was quoting from a book I read during that time: "Evidences Not Seen" by Darlene Diebler Rose. She tells her own story of the Lord's upholding grace which helped me keep my problems in perspective.

Blessings on you!

Dianne